So my boyfriend Stacy surprised me this morning with this funny little piece he wrote about what it’s like to date a belly dancer. Hopefully you find this just as amusing and insightful as I did. Enjoy!
Sure! I am the average guy. I like Football, Cool Cars, and Action movies, but I found something I love more than all of these things combined, my girlfriend! My life has certainly changed for the better because of her and the dancing is just one of many reasons I find her fascinating.
Who would have thought I would ever be the guy who toted the bag, carried the sword and knew exactly when to retrieve the finger cymbals? Well it is me and I am becoming educated to the many ways and tribulations that occupy the world of a belly dancer. Like any business there is drama, intrigue, failures and success and fortunately I have been there to witness them all. I don’t know the business but I love the fact my girl does. It thrills me to see her excitement and everlasting desire to perform. When I watch her dance I see into her world just a little bit more. Her smile says everything you need to know and it makes me wish I could find the same passion in something I did as well. There are football widows in the world, so I guess it would be natural that a guy could be could be a belly dancers gig bitch every so often. You know your girl is a belly dancer when:
1. You know the difference between Bedleh and Beledi
2. You catch Shimmy on TV and realize you it’s been more than 10 minutes and you missed Sportscenter.
3. You can actually tell the difference between a Bella and everything else.
4. You think of a three hour drive to a BD store as just a run to the store
5. You actually think more bling is a good thing.
6. You have made a last minute run to Walgreens to buy eyelash glue.
7. You are starting to learn different middle eastern languages
8. You hear the word Bhuz and don’t think of bees.
9. You understand middle eastern restaurants are not just eateries but potential business
10. You know what tribal fusion means.
11. Your girl ask your opinion on performance jewelry and you actually have one!
12. Your IPOD has at least one of her dance numbers on it.
13. Out of curiosity you have looked up Dina from Egypt on YouTube
14. You understand the happiness of her website climbing through a Google search.
15. You believe in the Gig Fairy
16. You see that her Facebook friends have names you have no idea how to pronounce
17. You know a money shower isn’t a game show.
18. You start to like shakira
19. Having a TomTom is a necessity
20. And most of all… You know that Raks Beaver isn’t a reclusive animal from the Amazon.
So there you have it! And would I change a thing? Never!